I bought the Wiley X CQC goggles several years ago. At the time I was very intrigued by the concept of a low-profile goggle that can easily be converted into glasses by simply swapping out the headband for conventional arms.
However, the CQC mainly sat in my drawer unused. The main reason is that I found them too stiff and not super comfortable.
That having been said, I know that Wiley X has a great reputation for making safety eyewear and I have been meaning to give them another chance. The SG-1 seemed like the perfect candidate.
The SG-1 has been around for a while and is in active duty all over the world. This is not surprising considering the impressive specs: (from their website).
• designed to eliminate tunnel vision, keeping your view unobstructed
• The changeable lenses include a Facial Cavity™ that protects your eyes from dust and dirt.
• Shatterproof Selenite™ Polycarbonate lenses that meet the MIL-PRF-32432(GL) ballistic standards: ANSI Z87.1 optical clarity and high mass/high velocity impact standards: as well as US Federal OSHA 1910.133(b)(1)(1) standards
• 100% UVA/UVB protection with distortion free clarity
• T-Shell™ Lens coating resists scratching
• Foil™ lens coating provides anti-fog protection
• Sleek Night Vision Goggle (NVG) Compatible design
To put things in perspective, an ANSI Z87 rating is obtained by firing a 0.15 caliber steel ball at 150 FPS at the lens without penetration. The MIL-PRF rating requires resistance to a projectile of 0.15 caliber and 5.85 grain at 650 FPS for glasses and 0.22 caliber, 17 grain at 550 FPS for goggles. So four times the velocity for the MIL-PRF rating!
Once again, I reached out to my good friends at Select Shooting Supplies and was able to score a pair of SG-1s.
Wow that is a serious case
It comes with extra (clear) lenses, SG-1 Elastic Strap, and SG-1 Beaded Tactical Strap to convert them to goggles
While it is not for everyone, I LOVE the look of the SG-1.
The Facial Cavity foam inserts
My first impression is wow this is the exact opposite of my CQC in terms of stiffness…these are so supple and flexible!
They are much smaller than the CQC though
Clear size difference
Still I much prefer the SG-1 to the CQC. Also, I think I will leave them as sunglasses for now (as opposed to installing the goggle straps). I can’t wait to try them out at the gun range.